Our class teacher is Mrs Spry and our other adults in class are:
Mrs Kelly and Mrs Shores.
Mrs Julie Spry
Writing - During the second half of the Autumn term we will be developing our spelling, grammar, punctuation and understanding of purpose and audience, through our geography topic.
Starting with poetry, in order to immerse ourselves in the vocabulary of this topic, then moving onto explanation texts and non-chronological reports. We aim to educate the community in saving water!
To compliment our topic we will be improving our reading comprehension with this term's class book, 'Journey to The River Sea' by Eva Ibbotson. Our narrative writing skills will be practised by creating stories in response to film extracts, all with a 'water' theme. Also this term, we will expose our writing creativity by reading our narratives to our paired reading partners from Class 4.
Maths - During the second half of the Autumn term, we will focus on fractions. Simplifying, comparing and ordering, adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions. Associating fractions with division and their decimal equivalence will form a key aspect our learning.
To develop our accuracy and fluency in arithmetic skills we will continue to tackle a daily combination of 'Mini-maths and Ninja Maths,' and begin our weekly 'SATs style' arithmetic material which will prepare us for the upcoming SATs in May.
Our PE days are now Wednesday and Thursday. Please make sure that your child has their kit in school in order to participate in this fun, important and compulsory area of school life. Those pupils without kit will use the spare items held by the class teacher.
- Hearing your child read can be difficult at this age, but as often as possible, ask your child questions about their reading book, challenge them to predict what will happen next and summarise what they have read so far.
- Spellings will be issued on a Tuesday then tested on the following Monday. Handwriting practice sheets will contain their spelling list and the children will have access to 'Literacy Planet' to practise further online.
- Mathletics homework will be set each week. The assignment will relate to an aspect of learning that your child will be familiar with. Please support your child by asking them to explain the aspect of maths that they are practising.
- Each pupil will have a 'One Minute Maths Challenge' which they need to practice at home, in preparation for being tested at points throughout the term.
- In preparation for our SATs in May, the teacher will also send home material to support your child's learning.
Religious Education - Our focus begins with 'Sacraments,' followed by 'Advent' then before half-term we will begin our unit on 'Christmas.'
In the first unit, we will reflect on how restoring ourselves has an impact on others and the global church. Also, about the restoration of the world. Although we think in terms of the seven Sacraments to restore the world, we will focus on Jesus being THE Sacrament to the world.
Important Autumn Dates
Wednesday 7th November - South West Water visit Y6
Monday 12th November - Anti-bullying week begins
Thursday 15th November - Y6@Mass (11am - All Welcome)
Thursday 13th December - Y6@Mass (11am - All Welcome)
Thursday 20th December - Christmas lunch
Friday 21st December - Last Day!