At St Joseph’s, we use the published scheme 'Come and See' and the new scheme 'To Know You More Clearly' as a resource to teach the curriculum. Both Come and See and To Know You More Clearly are written by a group of experienced diocesan advisors. It is based on the theological foundations of the Second Vatican Council, the Catholic Catechism and the revised RE Curriculum Directory. We dedicate one week per term to the teaching of other world religions including Judaism, Islam and Hinduism.
Come and See is structured in a way that supports the understanding in the Catholic Catechism which addresses the search for meaning in life, God’s initiative in Revelation who comes to meet us and our response of faith. This pattern guides the structure of the programme and informs the process of each topic, opened up through; Explore, Reveal and Respond.
To Know You More Clearly prepares all pupils to play their part as critical citizens in a plural and diverse culture. The topics include; the relationship between faith and science, the problem of evil, nature of human freedom, rights of the unborn, plight of refugees and asylum seekers; war and peace.
At St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School we aim to:
- Provide an engaging and thoughtful religious education which is integrated into every aspect of the curriculum and life of the school.
- We aim to adapt learning to the age and ability of the pupils using the Diocesan ratified programmes ‘Come and See’ and ‘To Know You More Clearly’.
- We aim to embed our Rosenshine Principles of Learning and the CAST Principles of Teaching and Learning into all aspects of our Religious Education.
- Commit to helping all of our pupils find their own vocation in life - to realise their unique God-given gifts and talents.
- Help pupils understand and act on the person God has called them to be.